Things we need
If your place of employment regularly throws out items which have reached their usage date, please ask your managers to consider donating them to a wildlife rescue. Needles, syringes, forceps etc all cost money and donations of these can be a huge help with funds, especially when they will otherwise just go to waste.
Each Hedgehog costs around £5 per week to feed and house and medications are an additional expense. All financial donations are gratefully received, a single donation or a regular commitment, everything helps and every penny goes on the animals.
You can donate safely via BT MyDonate, Charities Aid Foundation or Paypal and you no longer need a Paypal account to do so. Just click on the button in the sidebar of any page to donate.
As an alternative to a financial donation our little prickly people would be very grateful for the following:
Heatpads. These are vital to keep the really sick guys warm whilst treatment is going on.
We never have enough and the incubators are usually occupied. These really can be a lifesaver and w'll take as many as we can get.
The only proviso is they must be 12v, temperature controlled and capable of being left on 24/7. Some of the pads must be turned off after an hour to avoid overheating and these are no good for our patients.
Cleaning items and Newspapers
Kitchen rolls or thick paper towels.
We go through these like you would not believe when cleaning out cages which are done every day and sometimes twice a day.
Newspapers - no glossy magazines
If possible with staples removed. Saves the volunteers a lot of time
We shred newspapers for bedding as well as line the cages with them. We can easily go through 40 a day at busy periods so they are almost always required.
If you have a large number please call before delivering as storage can be an issue.
Food and bedding
- Tinned dog and/or cat food (no gravy please)
- Small cat biscuits or tiny dog biscuits
- Tins of Esbilac puppy milk replacement powder. For the tiny babies straight from the nest not yet weaned.
- Dried Mealworms
- Fleece blankets (without holes and stitching which may pull and cause injuries)
- Small plastic storage boxes without without lids. Size approx. 12" x 8". These make great nest boxes and are easy to sterilise.
- Bulldog clips and small S shaped hooks for hanging notes on hog cages
- Printer paper and A4 card
- Envelopes (any size or shape)
- Good condition hutches, stackable if possible. Every time we think we're full, another one turns up and the hedgehog high rise goes up another level.
- Good quality saleable items
- Raffle and Tombola prizes
- Lucky Dip prizes for children.
- Anything with hedgehogs on.
- Thanks to Greenham Common Trust, we now have our marquee and display boards.
- Folding display stands
All donations will be very gratefully accepted and, if edible, gratefully eaten